AFLF CEO Michael Picker has admitted that there were “significant issues” during the Bears’ season opener against the Minnesota Timberwolves.
“There were issues, obviously, when we opened up that game, we have to fix those issues,” Picker told the AFLF’s Breakfast Show.
“It’s been very disappointing that we’ve had to take a few of those off the field and I want to stress that that is not our first concern, it’s our fourth concern.”
Picker also revealed that the AFLC had agreed to “pause the play” for one match, the opening weekend of the AFL season, as it addressed issues that were “pervasive”.
Picker said the AFL had been approached by a number of teams interested in the option to play at the old home of the Bears, the old Metrodome, but the AFL has yet to be notified of the potential move.
He said it was “important” that the issue was addressed, and the AFL is working closely with the AFL to ensure that the matter is resolved.
AFLF President John Hartley said the club had been working “extremely hard” to address the issues highlighted by the AFL, including the “serious” breach of AFL codes of conduct.
“Our players, coaches and administrators are committed to the highest standards and we have a responsibility to the integrity of the game and to the fans, and to those we represent,” Hartley told the Breakfast Show on Wednesday.
The AFL is yet to announce whether the two games will be played at the Metrodrome.
Despite a heavy loss, the AFL remains in contention for the top four spots in the ladder, and has now secured a first home win of the season over Essendon in a match at the MCG.
Meanwhile, the Blues have won the AFL’s best and fairest award for the third time in four years, after sweeping Sydney on Saturday.